Tuesday, May 10, 2022
Sunday, May 8, 2022
Happy Mother's Day, everyone.
Today, I made Taiwanese Beef Noodle again to celebrate this special day. In my previous blog, many readers had thought I was making dry beef noodle since there was no soup in the pictures. The fact is I didn't have enough soup, so, I only put a little soup in the bowl and the close-up pictures didn't help either. Anyway, I was sure to make enough soup today. Last but not least, I used beef shanks today and I simmered them for 2 hours. A quote from someone who had the noodle: "I'm not going to lie, the beef noodle is frigging good!"
Friday, April 29, 2022
I always wanted to try to make Taiwanese beef noodle, a popular dish in Taiwan. The beef is very tender and the soup is very flavorful. So, I tried today, except I was running short on garlic. Fear not, I used red scallions and celery instead. Basically, whatever leftover in the fridge, LOL.
Of course, instead of Chinese noodle or pulling the noodle myself, I was using the Italian pasta which was chewy and perfectly served as beef noodle. The end results were not disappointed. Yum!
Thursday, April 21, 2022
I usually sauteed cabbage with Eggs. It's a very easy and nutritious dish I'd like to make for lunch. But, this time, instead of the regular, I made a variation: I first sauteed the cabbage, then made a tornado omelette on top of the cabbage.
There is no recipe nor video; it's my own creation in the hope to make cooking fun. Enjoy!
Sunday, April 10, 2022
I bought a farm-raised salmon from Costco, followed the youtube video listed below to cure the salmon. Left them in the fridge for a week, took them out yesterday and made the Nigiri Sushi today. I think the salmon tasted better after being cured. YMMV.
Saturday, April 9, 2022
I was at Costco the other day and saw Beyond meat in the fridge. So, I purchased one pack just for trying. I didn't have an opportunity until today.
Combined with the leftover sourdough bread I had in the fridge, I pan-fried the beyond meat, topped with an fried egg and cheese under it. It was very good. I sent my friend the picture; he said he could smell it. Lol.
Saturday, April 2, 2022
I made guacamole from scratch. The ingredient includes avocados, tomatoes, sliced onion, salt, lime, olive oil and black pepper. Basically, the ratio of avocados to tomatoes is 1:1. The amount for rest of the ingredients are whatever to your liking.
Sunday, March 27, 2022
Saturday, March 26, 2022
Taiwanese braised pork rice, one of the beloved comfort foods. is very popular in Taiwan. The pork belly is sliced into smaller chunk, not grounded. My right palm was almost blissed after finished slicing them. The pork belly chunks are sauteed with other ingredients, then braised for a couple of hours. The fat melt in the mouth. So yummy!
Sunday, March 20, 2022
Monday, February 14, 2022
- The duck selection is very important. It should be fresh, about 3.5 pound with the neck attached. This will ensure when the duck finished, its meat is juicy and tender.
- After seasoning, blowing air under the skin of the duck is a must. This is a very crucial step to have crispy skin.
Saturday, January 1, 2022
Year 2018 - The beginning:
Year 2019 - Experiments:
- Kneading vs. no kneading;
- Different hydrations: 60%, 65%, 70%, 75%, 80%, etc;
- Different stretch and fold methods;
- Different scoring methods;
- Fridge vs. no fridge;
- Different types of flours;
- Different length of bulk fermentation;
- Different length of retard in the fridge;
- Combo cooker vs. no combo cooker;
- Added ice cubes in the combo cooker before baking;
- I even purchased a Kitchenaid stand mixer;
- I tried coffee liquid instead of water;
- At the end, I tried to add different ingredients such as sesame seeds, dried cranberries, walnuts, coffee liquid, peanut jam, etc.